Roofkrete is just ferro cement on a small scale; they’ve been building boats out of it for years!
Advantages of the RoofKrete system:
- Unbelievably strong
- You can walk on it
- Solar-reflective for its lifespan
- Maintenance free
- 30 year guarantee from RoofKrete
Disadvantages of the GacoRoof Silicon system:
- Extremely difficult to lay
- Long open time to cure (will mark if it rains)
- Cannot lay under 4ºC or in high temperatures and direct sunlight
- Noisy to lay
Let’s look at your options if you want to replace an old roof using RoofKrete :
Option 1: Stripping
Strip the roof of the old covering and replace with a new covering.
Now, if you start to strip the roof, all sorts of other options open up:
- Should I have a temporary roof put up over the old roof to protect the building?
- How do I get all the old materials off the roof?
- What is the cost of dumping the rubbish?
- What is the cost of stripping the roof?
- Stripping the roof will trigger part L1B of the building regulations, and I will have to insulate the roof.
Once stripped: Roofkrete can go over the old decking or can go over insulation if the roof is going to be turned into a warm roof.
Option 2: Overlaying
- You will still need a temporary flat roof over the top if the roof is big or it’s late winter.
- No need for insulation.
- Only remove the old stones and prepare the surface of the old flat roof, ready for overlaying.
- Overlay the roof using the RoofKrete system.
For more information: