The GacoRoof Silicon roofing system has been widely used in the USA for many years. It arrived in the UK in 2012 and is proving to be a really nice system.
Advantages of the GacoRoof Silicon system:
- Relatively cheap for a liquid-based roofing system
- Can be applied over most substrates without primers, saving installation costs
- Bright, reflective finishes, so it’s good for an overlay system
- 50 year guarantee from GacoRoof
Disadvantages of the GacoRoof Silicon system:
- Very soft after complete cure
- Takes a long open time to cure (will mark if it rains)
Let’s look at your options if you want to replace an old roof:
Option 1: Stripping
Strip the roof of the old covering and replace with a new covering.
Now, if you start to strip the roof, you get all sorts of other options open up.
- Should I have a temporary roof put up over the old roof to protect the building?
- How do I get all the old materials off the roof?
- What is the cost of dumping the rubbish?
- What is the cost of stripping the roof?
- Stripping the roof will trigger part L1B of the building regulations, and I will have to insulate the roof.
Once stripped: GacoRoof silicon can go over the old decking or can go over insulation. If the roof is going to be turned into a warm roof.
Option 2: Overlaying
You may be interested in the following videos:
- Why choose a liquid roofing system for your roof?
- Preparing an old asphalt roof for covering with a liquid flat roofing system.
Gacoroof Experienced Contractor UK
Last year London Flat roofing laid a tremendous amount of Gacoroof silicon so as part of our ongoing training I went out the Gacoroof Head Quarters in the USA to see how the Americans do things. I had a guided tour of their factories and was amazed at how they are expanding, basically because Gacoroof is now exporting to the UK and Ireland. IN the UK Gacoroof is going to be branded GacoPro and will come with a 20 Year guarantee on the materials, even those this is a new roofing materials in the UK we have been using silicon in our buildings for years and one of the advantages of using a pure silicon roofing product is its ability to withstand expansion and unbelievable ranges of temperature. For those of you who haven’t seen the Gacoroof silicon product you may have handled silicon ice-cube containers or silicon gloves for use with cooking,. Gacoroof is basically the same materials slightly soft to the touch however it withstands lots of abuse. Like a lot of liquid roofing systems the gacoroof silicon roofing system is basically an overlay roofing system and not a new roof system it relies on the substrate of the old roof to be in place and pretty sound, it becomes expensive if used over roof insulation as a separation system has to be used.
Below you can see some photos of an old felt and asphalt roof we renovated using the Gacoroof system the block of flats is in Wembley North West London and the roof area was around 300m2. The roof was cleaned and small repairs were made before the application of the Gacoroof silicon liquid roofing system. As you can see in the photos the finished roof looks pretty good.